Newton is a city in and the county seat of Harvey County, Kansas, United States. Newton is located 25 miles (40 km) north of Wichita. The city of North Newton is located immediately north and exists as a separate political entity. Newton is located at the intersection of Interstate 135, U.S. Route 50, and U.S. Route 81 highways.
The data relating to real estate on this web site comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange program of the South Central Kansas MLS, Inc. and includes listings held by other brokerage firms. All information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed, and should be independently verified. All properties subject to prior sale, change, or withdrawal. Neither listings broker(s) nor Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices PenFed Realty shall be responsible for typographical errors, misinformation, misprints, and shall be held totally harmless. Listing information is provided for the consumer's personal, non-commercial use, and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties the consumer may be interested in purchasing. 2023 South Central Kansas MLS, Inc. All rights reserved. Data last updated: Tuesday, June 6th, 2023.
The city was founded in 1871 and named after Newton, Massachusetts, home of some of the Santa Fe stockholders.
In 1872, the western terminal for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and the railhead for the Chisholm Trail were established here. Shortly after incorporation of the city in 1872, the Newton city council passed an ordinance prohibiting the running at large of buffalo and other wild animals.
Newton served as the Middle Division dispatching headquarters for the “Santa Fe” until the mid-1980s, when all dispatching for the Chicago to Los Angeles system was centralized in the Chicago area. In 1995, the Santa Fe merged with the Burlington Northern Railroad, and is now known as the BNSF Railway. The BNSF continues to be a large industrial taxpayer although its impact as an employer has decreased in the past decade. Most locals still refer to this railroad as the “Santa Fe”.